29 May 2008

day two: adventures in Saas Fee

After much delightful sleep, we start our first official day in Saas Fee, all leading up to the opening meeting for egs that night. Our meal plan begins this morning, and I'm exceptionally glad to see many bowls of cereal. There's also dried fruit, fresh-baked breads, soft-boiled eggs, and more, but I'm glad that my love affair with cereal can continue on the continent.

Josh and I have the afternoon free, so we explore the little town a bit more. It's not as little as first imagined (learn about Saas Fee), but it is lovely. I exchange some money -- Swiss francs are quite colorful! -- and we go to the grocery store. We've been warned about the tap water causing some gastrointestinal bloating issues of sorts... so I bought bottled water. Called me a consumptive American if you must. It's better than the other option here.


The afternoon continues with more reading, emailing, lunch and then dinner. We meet some people, Victor arrives, blah blah blah.

Finally, all egs-ers gather in the hotel lobby for the opening remarks by Wolfgang Schirmacher, director of egs. This is an exciting performance. We are encouraged to peruse and discard our books, to take 20% from theory and use it creatively. Egs is a program in Media and Communications, and many students are painters, filmmakers, poets, and artists (of various sorts) in their own right. Now, I happen to be quite fond of my books, and don't really subscribe the same philosophical approach -- but I'm excited for the ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Food in bowls! Your favorite!